Invest in Yourself.
Protect Your Assets.
Build Your Future.
Protect Your Business.
Reorganize Your Future.
We help build your business & manage your assets, hire talent, preserve claims & restructure
Entrepreneurship – Explore, Launch, Develop & Scale in 10 Strategic Steps!
We excel in helping clients launch companies, including digital health startups using AI. We guide them through 10 easy strategic steps.
10 Start-up Steps
1. State of Registration – choose most favorable laws & courts; draft Certificate (must it be Delaware?)
2. Type of Entity – LLC is the most flexible for tax & financing (convert to Corporation tax-free)
3. Branding – choose Name, Logo, Tagline & Domain Name; secure Trademark (use & license)
4. Equity – draft Charter, ByLaws & Shareholder or Operating Agreement (minority squeeze-out shield)
5. Intellectual Property –protect Trade Secrets (NDA & policies); expand Copyrights & Patents (non-Compete & Invention assignment contracts)
6. Fundraising – pitch Seed, Angel, VC & Crowdfunding options (qualify for SEC Safe Harbor exemptions)
7. Talent – hire Independent Contractor or Employee (comply with Labor, Tax & Anti-Discrimination laws)
8. Digital Health Track – understand the nature of stakeholders & plan regulatory compliance (digital health business models, products & services, providers, payers, FDA, CMS, HIPPA and privacy laws)
9. Books & Records – keep them in order; comply with governance formalities (avoid personal liability)
10. Exit – tee up for sale (keep house in order; execute assignable licenses & leases; reap tax benefits)
Employment – Hire Talent & Manage Risk with 10 Basic Strategies!
We assist employer, consultant employee, independent contractor & c-suite clients to navigate workplace laws via a tailored menu of 10 basic strategies.
10 Basic Talent Tips
1. Independent Contractor or Employee – hire per Labor & Tax laws (anti-discrimination covers employee)
2. At-Will – draft in Contract, Manual & Online (can hire/fire/quit any time for any reason; clarify discipline policy)
3. At-Will Exceptions – avoid Public Policy & Implied Contract terms (terminate for good cause only)
4. Restrictive Covenants & No Moonlighting – keep talent happy, while protecting IP (sign contracts)
5. Trade Secret Programs – educate, remind, implement policies (coach talent compliance)
6. Compensation – balance traditional & sweat equity (comply with SEC Safe Harbors; note tax-free exchanges)
7. Telecommuting – treat work-from-home as the new normal (implement policies per Labor & Tax laws)
8. Dispute Resolution – specify choice of law & courts in contract; consider mediation &/or arbitration (ADR)
9. Manage Risk – draft indemnity & release clauses, buy insurance (perils, interruption, liability, D&O, E&O)
10. COVID-19 – comply with payroll tax, PPP & talent laws (balance business & talent needs)
Debtor-Creditor – Handle Loans & Work-Outs via 10 Key Platforms!
We provide borrower and lender clients with a unique set of perspectives, as they fundraise, collect and monetize investments via 10+ lending platforms.
10 Lending Platforms
1.Loan Types – Term: fixed maturity date; Revolving: fixed maximum $ amount (usually higher interest)
2. Interest – Fixed or Adjustable Rate or Balloon feature at maturity (Fixed is easiest to plan)
3. Fees – ex. Commitment Fee in a Revolving Loan (banks ensure a fixed return on investment)
4. Penalties – may be triggered upon late payment, default or prepayment (check grace period)
5. Secured Debt – creditor takes interest in debtor’s collateral to cover default (single or blanket)
6. Collateral – property owned by debtor; ex. IP, Accounts Receivable, Equipment, Inventory, Stock
7. Perfection of Collateral – file UCC-1 Financing Statement or Mortgage (1st in time, 1st in right)
8. Foreclosure – by possession, court proceeding or agreement (check grace period, redemption rights)
9. Unsecured Debt – No collateral; ex., Credit Card, Bank, Peer to Peer (dischargeable in bankruptcy)
10. Guaranty – third party promise to pay debt (is unsecured debt dischargeable in bankruptcy)
Bankruptcy – Choose your Strategy from 10+ Critical Tips!
“Filing for bankruptcy is NEVER an event of default under ANY contract.” We best serve our clients with strategic knowledge that includes 10+essential tips.
10 Bankruptcy Tips
1.Chapter 7 – trustee liquidates non-exempt assets to pay debts (post-bankruptcy earnings excluded)
2. Chapter 13 – debtor files Plan & pays debts with disposable income (defers home mortgage arrears)
3. Chapter 11 – debtor files Plan & Creditors & Interest Holders vote (Reorganization or Liquidation)
4. Subchapter V of Chapter 11 – Plan can be confirmed without consent vote (for small business)
5. Pre-Packaged Chapter 11 – Plan has consent vote pre-bankruptcy (speeds up Plan confirmation)
6. Executory Contract & Lease – debtor/trustee breaches, performs, assigns (exceptions)
7. Above market lease– debtor-tenant can reject/breach & benefit from capped damages (reduce rent)
8. SARE – Single Asset Real Estate case on fast-track to protect non-debtor landlords (if good faith filing)
9. Preference – creditor with debt paid 90 days-1 year pre-bankruptcy (may need to disgorge & share)
10. Fraudulent Transfer – recipient of debtor's asset in exchange for less than fair value (may need to disgorge)